Trashy Tuesday Tutorial: August 25, 2014
Kitchen Window Fake-over
Total Project Cost: $0.00
Tile: Found $0.00
Paint: Found $0.00
Wood Trim: Found $0.00
Adhesive Grout: Leftover from another project $0.00
Liquid Nails: leftover from another project $0.00
This weekend I had found a bunch of leftover tile. It must have been leftover from a construction job and probably laying outside for a while due to the dirt build up. While it wasn't enough for me to do any major work with it, I just had to pick it up anyway,I could find some use for it, if not I could always make jewelry out of it...maybe another tutorial to come.
Before I even had a project in mind, I first needed to clean off the tile, so I soaked the sheets in hot water first and scrubbed them. Once clean I decided the cut them into squares like a 3x3 tile. I took o them again and soaked them a second time in hot water and bleach, let them dry.
Once dry I had decided to use them to fix up this tiny little kitchen window I have in our Shack House. You can read more about our Shack House Fake Over, which is a project to redo an existing home with a budget under $1,000 including furnishings all using as much reclaimed and re-purposed materials.
The window itself sits against the back side of the house which is concrete, which crumbles, and cracks all over the place. When we moved in we had to replace the glass which was not there anymore. What was left was an open window. I had tried previously to hang a little café curtain to cover it up but again the concrete crumbles, so I figured I may have to create a fake frame around it just to get a rod up, so that was the plan. But what to do about the big old holes.
Now for the Fake-over!
The first step was to measure out the tiles. I don't like to measure so I faked it, and counted out (9) squares on each side, which left me a tiny spot on the edge, which since the tiles were mesh tiles I could cut out smaller pieces to fill in the gaps. I began to apply a small dollup of adhesive caulk to the four corners of the tile, then spread it like frosting.
Once the tile was set I let it set for about an hour and began to paint the small strips of wood I found. I also used a bit of the leftover paint to paint the "sil" of the window white.
And of course, always better after, not perfect by any means, but that's what a fake over is, just a way to make it a little bit better, without saying make over! Enjoy...